Friday, January 23, 2009

Letting Go

When we were going through Jason's things, I was grateful that I got to hang on to one of his shirts. It's not one I have a particular memory of, but I can still smell him on it. I don't want to stick it in a drawer where it will be forgotten but I'm afraid if I wear it, I won't ever smell him again. Am I crazy to think that I could possibly hold on to that? Do I just wash it and move on and keep his memory around me as I wear it? I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this but everytime I look at it, I'm paralyzed.

In some ways, I feel like I'm just beginning to realize the finality of it all. There's a certain amount of time that you can convince yourself that he's just on a really long vacation. Work is busy enough and I make a point to keep away from his desk and old photos. But then I come home and there's his shirt, begging me to consider which part of him I will hold on to...the smell or the sense of being close to him when wearing it. It's funny what things really strike you in grief. I wish the choice would be made for me. There's something really unnerving about being an active part of that process. It starts to take away the sense that you are a victim in all this and that you are participating in the tragedy.

1 comment:

Debi Elliott said...

Please, give yourself a break - time to grieve. You are going through a major trauma and you deserve grace and time. Those of us who love you wish we could fix it but we can't. God will use it, you will see. Trust Him....... GREAT to see you today and yes, look for me on Sunday evenings starting the 22nd. Love and blessings! D