Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Week With TMP

What a crazy week it's been. On Tuesday the Trey McIntyre Project began their week-long residency at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. For four days, this incredible dance company did pretty much everything under the sun that we could get them to from master classes to bus-ins to impromptu "spurban" performances throughout Orange County. We would show up unannounced at university campuses, shopping malls and outdoor markets where we would throw up a couple banners, press play on a boom box and the dancers would surprise passersby with a three-minute performance and then we would disappear. It was truly remarkable to see people's reactions and to be a part of something so unique.

The week ended with two incredible performances on the Center's mainstage. I was absolutely blown away by what I saw. Scarcely have I seen the work of a choreographer that has such depth and breadth and vision as Trey. I am convinced he can do most anything. He brings with him a wealth of artistry, a sense of humor, a profound intellect and an understanding of our generation that makes him unavoidably appealing. And his dancers were equal to every task he put before them, each with their own unique gift and personality. The TMP dancers have filled the ranks of our country's finest ballet troupes but their desire to be part of something new and innovative lead them to Trey. And I am grateful for their courage. They bring to life some of the most creative work I've seen in a very long time. I will never forget what I experienced this weekend.

I think what impresses me most though was the energy, drive, demeanor and creative vision of every member of this young troupe. It is what I want so badly to be a part of and what I hope can take root in my own workplace someday. Our short time with them was truly inspiring. And despite the long hours and overwhelming schedule, it's weeks like these that remind me how much I truly love my job.

No comments: