Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving - An Ode to Carbs

Let me preface this by saying that Thanksgiving is about much more than just the food so before you accuse of me of being overly shallow, please note that this blog focuses merely on the meal.

Thanksgiving dinner is probably the most decadent meal I eat all year and I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to discover what it was that I loved about it so much. A lot of people love the turkey or the cranberry sauce or a favorite pie. Many have mentioned the famed "green bean casserole" which to me is still a mystery. I don't think I've ever had it and I think I prefer it that way. But what I love most about Thanksgiving dinner is the massive amounts of carbs: the mashed potatoes, the stuffing, and my aunt's amazing dinner rolls. The turkey and vegetables are merely there to add balance and a splash of color to the heaping piles of starches. Let's face it, I have a reverse sort of Atkins diet going on.

But the truly great thing about Thanksgiving at my house is that dessert constitutes its own meal. We usually have dinner around two in the afternoon so that our evening meal consists entirely of a delicious variety of baked goods. My mom and I spent a week creating the extravangaza of sugar that blessed our table yesterday evening. I think I had three helpings this year. It was glorious. I wish life could always be that grand. (Those that know me know I have a habit of having dessert for dinner on probably a weekly basis, but I feel less ashamed of it on Thanksgiving.)

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and that your dessert course was bountiful!

2 comments:

Kasey said...

oh, that sounds wonderful.

Jeanne Oliver said...

SO true. I feel like if I keep the momentum going through Christmas I will be joining Jenny Craig:-) Love your blog...always makes me smile.